Terego East MP Babanga Condemns Lawlessness by Refugees in Imvepi Refugee Settlement that Resulted into Burning of Police Station and OPM Offices.
Copied.
PRESS RELEASE
OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON THE UNREST AND BURNING OF OPM AND POLICE FACILITIES IN IMVEPI REFUGEE SETTLEMENT.
BY HON. WILFRED BABANGA ERIMA
MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT, TEREGO EAST CONSTITUENCY.
26TH August 2026
The Burnt government infrastructure at Imvepi Refugee Settlement.
I am deeply saddened by the unfortunate loss of life and the senseless burning of the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) offices, police buildings and property in Imvepi Refugee Settlement on 25th August 2026.
I strongly condemn this act of violence and destruction of Government property. While I acknowledge that the unrest is linked to dissatisfaction over the Refugee Welfare Council elections, burning offices and taking lives is not the way to resolve grievances.
I appeal to all refugees and host communities in Imvepi to remain calm and restrain from any further acts of lawlessness. Let us allow peace to prevail.
I have spoken with the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) of Terego District and the District Police Commander (DPC) of Terego to ascertain the level of damage caused..
Security personnel have been deployed to restore order nd the situation is being contained.
I call upon the Uganda Police Force to expeditiously apprehend the lawbreakers and bring them to book in accordance with the law.
I await the official and comprehensive report from the CAO and DPC on the extent of damage, casualties and the circumstances surrounding this incident. I will continue to engage with OPM, UNHCR and District leadership to ensure justice and to restore calm.
For God and My Country.
Hon. Babanga Wilfred
MP, Terego East Constituency
ENDS
Comments
Post a Comment