Skip to main content

Government Revokes Operating License and Permit of GiveDirectly (NGO) in Uganda for Sending Money to People Without Explaining Its Source of Funding.


Government has indefinitely suspended the operations of an international NGO, GiveDirectly, which has been sending mobile money to vulnerable Ugandans hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic. for failure to explain the source of its funding. 

The National Bureau for Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO Bureau) says GiveDirectly failed to explain its source of funding although previously the organisation had indicated that it was receiving the money from the American government via funded the US Agency for International Development (USAID).

GiveDirectly is a nonprofit that lets donors send money directly to households in developing countries via mobile linked platforms. As reported earlier, the organisation which targets extremely low-income households is currently active in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Liberia, Malawi, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and Morocco.

Last month, a total of 120,000 families in Uganda whose livelihoods have been negatively affected by coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic were listed to benefit from $10 million (about Shs 36 billion) direct cash transfers, to help them overcome the effects. (See: Lira's vulnerable receive Shs 100,000 each COVID funds)

According to the NGO Bureau, investigations revealed that GiveDirectly was giving people money, which is likely to make them lazy, promote idleness, domestic violence, dependency syndrome and tension within neighbouring villages. 

Michael Kayemba, the GiveDirectly country director previously said the innovative direct cash giveaway project was targeting vulnerable Ugandans across the six newly created cities of Mbale, Moroto, Lira, Gulu, Kabale and Mbarara over the next three months, with a possibility of rolling out the programme to other cities later.

The initial roll-out direct cash transfers took place in Lira city on August 6, where about 10,000 beneficiaries from three parishes including Kakoge received Shs 100,000 each, injecting $750,000 (about Shs 2.7 billion) into the local economy.

“Before COVID-19, many families were already facing difficult conditions. The pandemic is exposing these existing vulnerabilities and making them worse,” said Kayemba. 

Local leaders in Gulu said the cash injection would stimulate local economic activities since many residents were struggling to fend for their livelihoods. 

According to the design of the project, beneficiaries do not need to register themselves to be eligible for the programme but are identified through the socio-economic data of the telecommunication companies targeting the poorest areas in each city to ensure fairness and equity.

The would-be beneficiaries are then contacted and asked for their consent through SMS messages, automated calls or call centre agents. Founded in 2009, GiveDirectly ranked a top international charity organization having already delivered over $260 million in cash directly into the hands of over 270,000 households living in poverty across the world.



Read more here in the Link.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than 100 Angry Youths Chased Maracha District Officials Out of Site Meeting Over Corruption.

📸: Some of the angry Youths displaying placards as others walked in to stop the ongoing meeting by Maracha District officials. Story by Osuta Yusuf. Maracha District. 3-February-2025. 📸: Kololo Public Seed Secondary School whose construction project has again stalled. Photo by Osuta Yusuf, Our News Reporter. The angry youths from Vurra Parish, Tara Sub-county in Maracha East constituency, Maracha District have on Monday 3-Feb-2025 chased the entire Maracha District officials out of a site meeting in Kololo Seed Secondary over allegations of corruption stemming from the stalled seed school construction project. Key Maracha District officials who went for the site meeting on Monday 3-Feb-2025 include, the Security department headed by the deputy RDC Koliba Monica Kotevu and Assistant RDC Collins Dramani, the LC5 Chairperson Hon Obitre Stephen together with his DEC Councilors, the accounting  / technical department headed by the CAO Mr Olila Patrick, the Engi...

Escaped Murder Suspect Finally Arrested in Yumbe Regional Referral Hospital, Yumbe District.

Story by Osuta Yusuf. 19-November-2024. 📸: Eyotre Kennedy handcuffed on bed while receiving medication this morning at Yumbe Regional Referral Hospital in Yumbe District. Eyotre Kennedy originating from Etoko village, Nyoroo Parish, Nyadri Sub-county in Maracha District who has for many years been terrorizing residents in his village, has finally been arrested this Monday morning 19-November-2024 while receiving treatment at Yumbe Regional Referral Hospital in Yumbe District following injuries he sustained from Theft mission on Saturday night 16-November-2024 in Owapi village, Azapi parish in Odupi Sub-county, Terego East Constituency in Terego District. Click here on the link  https://informationispowah.blogspot.com/2024/11/fugitive-who-chopped-3-people-killed.html   to read the story on his Theft of Goats in Terego. Upon getting cut on the finger and leg by the Mob as he attempted to fight and overpower owner of the goats he attempted to steal on Saturday night ...

41-Years-Old Man Digs His Own Grave in Maracha District.

Story by Osuta Yusuf.  Maracha District.  📸: The grave been dug by Mr Opiga Michael, a victim of frustration. Photo taken by Osuta Yusuf , on Wednesday 11-September-2024. The residents of Ebapi village, Baria Parish in Nyadri Sub-county, Maracha east constituency, Maracha District are in shock after a 41 year old man started digging his own grave. The man, identified as Mr Opiga Michael, who seems to be frustrated over some challenges in life, started digging his own grave on Tuesday 10-September-2024 until he was stopped by the elders in Nyaria clan. 📸: Opiga Michael, the Victim of Frustration. Photo by Osuta Yusuf , Information is Power. While speaking to our reporter on Wednesday evening 11-September-2024, Mr Opiga Michael, said, his main plan  was to commit suicide after finishing digging the grave for burying himself, explained that, he feels frustrated, abandoned and hated by his own clan people, whom he accused of piling lies against him a...